Slider

Photo Tips - Shooting In Open Shade

Tuesday, October 24, 2017


luonnonvalossa kuvaaminen

I'm in a constant learning process what comes to photography. So I'm not really the right person to tell how to capture that perfect picture, but I can share here what I have learnt and experienced so far.

Always when possible I like to choose natural light over artificial. To create beautifully lit, flattering portraits with natural light, all you need is your camera, one lens and a little know how.

A common misconception is that a bright sunny day is perfect for portraits - but this couldn't be more wrong. Direct midday sun is high in contrast and creates harsh shadows and bring highlights, particularly on fair-skinned subjects with light hair. 

There is a simple solution to shoot in the middle of a summer day - that is by using open shade. Open shade is that thin sliver of flattering light which can be find where direct sun stops and shade begins. 

The light is still bright and directional, yet diffused and soft, creating subtle shadows and even lighting on subject's face.

When shooting on an overcast day, technically anywhere is open shade, as the sun is shaded by cloud, however on a sunny, cloudless day one needs to look a bit harder to find that perfect light.

Good tips for shooting in natural light can also be find on It's always Autumn blog!


luonnon valossa kuvaaminen


(FI) Mitä tulee valokuvaukseen niin olen jatkuvassa oppimistilassa. Joten en nyt ole ihan oikea henkilö kertomaan miten sen täydellisen kuvan saisi napattua, mutta voin kyllä jakaa sen mitä olen itse oppinut ja kokenut.

Aina kun vaan mahdollista kuvaan mieluiten luonnon valossa. Kun halutaan saavuttaa kauniisti valaistu, kohdetta imarteleva potretti luonnon valolla, tarvitaan ainoastaan kamera, yksi objektiivi ja hiukkasen tietoa. 

Yleinen harhaluulo on, että kirkas, aurinkoinen päivä olisi täydellinen potrettien kuvaamiseen, mutta tilanne on lähes päinvastoin. Suora keskipäivän aurinko luo räikeitä kontrasteja ja voimakkaita varjoja sekä korostaa liikaa varsinkin vaaleaihoista ja -hiuksista kohdetta. 

Keskellä kesäpäivää kuvaamiseen löytyy kuitenkin helppo ratkaisu - nimittäin ns. avoimessa varjossa kuvaaminen. Avoin varjo tarkoittaa sitä ohutta hienoa valoa, joka löytyy siitä kohdin jossa suora auringon paiste päättyy ja varjo alkaa. 

Tämä valo on vielä kirkas ja suora, mutta hajaantunut ja pehmeä ja näin ollen luo hienovaraisen varjon, mutta silti valaisee kohteen kasvot. 

Pilvisellä ilmalla kuvattaessa, avointa varjoa löytyy kaikkialta, koska pilvet peittävät auringon. Aurinkoisena ja pilvettömänä päivänä täydellisen valon löytäminen on jonkin verran hankalampaa. Itse suosin "kevyesti" varjoisia paikkoja. 

Hyviä vinkkejä luonnonvalossa kuvaamiseen löytyy myös Vilma P:n blogista!


natural light

luonnon valossa kuvaaminen

open shade photography

natural light photography

natural light portrait

natural light photo tips

luonnon valossa kuvaaminen



Only a minimal kit is needed when shooting in open shade - a 50mm and/or 85mm lens with a fast maximum aperture.

Thank you so much for my nephew & godson Hugo and his girlfriend Lyydia to be my models!



~~~~


(FI) Avoimessa varjossa kuvattaessa tarvitaan ainoastaan  minimivarustus - nopea eli mahdollisimman iso aukkoinen 50mm ja/tai 85mm objektiivit.

Suuret kiitokset kummipojalleni/veljenpojalleni Hugolle ja hänen tyttöystävälleen Lyydialle, että suostuivat malleiksi.





You can find also here more info about portrait photography in daylight here and here!


30 comments:

  1. I agree and would say that a bright sunny day creates shadows which is not great for photos! For me I would say that the best lighting is cloudy, as it creates even lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - cloudy weather creates the softest light.

      Delete
  2. I am so daft when it comes to taking photos! Probably because I wait for full sunny days! Now I know why the images don't look so great! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to take some photos on a cloudy day and see the difference!

      Delete
  3. Love the tips. I too have struggled with shooting under clouds. The worst part is that it keeps changing constantly. Loved the portraits too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right - it's quite challanging when the light is changing all the time.

      Delete
  4. I agree. Photos taken in the shade turn out so well. They are such a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I am learning new things here. I love photography but honestly I am one of the amateurs. I don't have much knowledge about proper shooting of photos. Thankfully I came across your blog. more please

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are soo much things to learn about photlgraphy! People keep telling me that I take great pictures. I know I have eyes for it but when it comes to the lights, shutter ect...I have no clue what so ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was exactly what I needed to read now! I just bought my first good camera and apart from reading the manual I had no idea how to make the most of it! Great tips, I will definitely bookmark the article and come back next time I'll go out for a photoshoot! Thank you thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy if I could help you! Good luck with your new camera!

      Delete
  8. These are great tips! I always wanted to take photography, just that writing, reading always comes on the way. The pictures looks great so as the couple are cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so cute! Happy if you found this helpful :)

      Delete
  9. Great tips. With those bright sunny days it's best to capture the images either early in the morning or in the evening just before the sun goes down...but I completely agree that the best light is always natural light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early mornings or late afternoons are the best times to shoot.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful tips, I have always thought you needed light for good photography but you have informed me otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you need light but have to choose the right amount and type of it ;)

      Delete
  11. I always wait for perfect lighting conditions before I start shooting photos, but we all know that does not happen. I think we can make do with whatever natural light is available and portraits will look fantastic if we learn where to position the models/subjects to get the most of the natural light available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so right - the light conditions are what they are and can change so rapidly.

      Delete
  12. I so love the portrait shots and the lights, you captured it right! Want to learn more too❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in process all the time. There's always something to explore when it comes to photography.

      Delete
  13. Some great shooting tips here. I shoot with a 40mm, but been thinking of upgrading the lenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almosyt always use 50mm - don't know why but it just feels comfortable for me.

      Delete
  14. Very nice portrait shots!I struggle with taking pictures in the shade, they definitely need more editing :) Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shade is good but have to avoid too harsh contrast.

      Delete
  15. Very nice tips on Photography as I love to take pictures. I always prefer natural light instead of artificial lights. Bright sunny days are my favorite too for photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. natural light is the best, also inside when ever it is possible.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan