Slider

The Book

Sunday, February 1, 2015

I need to have a book on my bedside table, otherwise I feel sort of lost or empty. I read all kinds of books from chick lit to classics. Most of the books I've read were good, entertaining, exciting & touching, too. 

The last year's Finlandia Prize winner,  book called "He eivät tiedä mitä tekevät" (They don't know what they are doing) by a Finnish author Jussi Valtonen didn't sound too exciting to me, but as I got it as a present I decided to read it. From the first page on I knew this book would be worth reading. 


This book made me laugh, cry and think. Well, nothing new - that's what most of the books do. But somehow this book was so different from the others, the language in it, the way things were told, the whole story had so many layers - everything was simply excellent & genious.

Despite the fact that the book is written by a Finnish author and I read it in Finnish, it is so international. The author has said that it took him six years to write this book - totally understandable, nothing this genious comes in a year or two. 


The story begins in early 90s...

"Ennen Joeta hän ei ollut tavannut ketään ikäistään, jolla olisi ollut kannettava tietokone. Hänen isällään oli kotonaan ollut television kokoinen Mikro-Mikko, jonka ruudulla vihreänä välkkyviin pisterivikirjaimiin hän oli tottunut. Matkapuhelinta Joe ei sentään ollut hankkinut, onneksi. Sitä Alina olisi hävennyt."

"Karri oli innoissaan kertonut perustaneensa yrityksen, joka alkaisi painaa internet-oppaita - paksuja, puhelinluettelon näköisiä paperille painettuja luetteloita internet-osoitteista. ... Ajatus luettelosta olisi ehkä voinut olla järkevä, jos itse internetistä olisi ollut kenellekään mitään iloa...."

"Sähköposti olisi voinut olla hyödyllinenkin keksintö, peraatteessa - jos kukaan olisi käyttänyt sitä. Mutta postilaatikko, jonka yliopiston yli-innokas atk-osasto oli hänellekin kysymättä perustanut, oli aina tyhjä, eikä hän tuntenut ketään, jolta olisi voinut saada postia. Opiskelukavereille viestejä olisi voinut lähettää, mutta jotta he olisivat huomanneet saaneensa sellaisia, heille olisi pitänyt soittaa jokaisesta erikseen ja käskeä matkustamaan yliopistolle lukemaan ne." 

"He eivät tiedä mitä tekevät" - Jussi Valtonen



If I needed to choose one book to take with me to a deserted island - would it be Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina or Jussi Valtonen's He eivät tiedä mitä tekevät?  I'm not sure.



2 comments:

  1. I have been following few of your recent updates. Expecting more to come.. I just love it :)

    Surya Kumar
    http://thelizziebordencollection.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan