Traditional Finnish Christmas pastries
For the pastry you will need:
200g (7 oz) soft butter or margarine
2,5dl (1 cup) flour
1dl (1/3 cup) cold water
1 teaspoon vinergar
- Put all the pastry ingredients into a bowl and mix quickly by hand into a dough. Don't nead too much.
- Put the dough to a cold place to harden.
- Roll out on a floured board, folding a few times to make a puff pastry, and finally make a 1/2 cm thick sheet.
- Cut the shett into 7x7cm squares. Split the corners of easch square.
- Place a bit of plum jam in the middle of each square. Fold over every other split end onto the center to form a windmill-like pastry.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake at 250C (450F) until light brown.
ps. quite often we Finns use a ready-made dough for these pastries!
Does anyone know a gluten-free option???