Scones are the easiest English teatime treat.
pinch of salt
25g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- Heat the oven to 220C. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm thick. Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly kneas together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Moist, tender scones, sweet or savory, are perfect any time of the day - from breakfast to late-night snack.