Saturday, September 4, 2010

Old Fortress

At the end of the 14th century,
Corfu was annexed to the Republic of Venice
and acted as a military base on the Adriatic coast
- the Venetians ruled the island between 1386-1797
.
Sea moat
.
Entrance to the Fortress
Savorgnan Bastion
.
Roman Chapel
.
The twin peaks of the Fortress rock
were originally fortified in the Middle Byzantine period,
when Corfu was part of the Byzantine empire
.
Detail of the British barracks
.
During the period of the English Protectorate (1815-1864)
a number of new defence works were built
in the Old Fortress,
though without changing its form
.
British Barracks
.
Some of the buildings of the Venetian period
were destroyed during the English Protectorate
and above all during World War II
.
Mandraki Harbour on the left side of the fortress
.
Refreshing moment
at Mandraki harbour
.
View of Garitsa Bay
.
View to the Plateia Park in Corfu Town
.
Sea Tower
- slippery steps up here!
.
Gunpowder Magazines
.
Somewhere ther is Albania!
.
View of the Kontokali Bay
.
View of Corfu Town
.
Exhausted!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...